MM0008 – Guarda de Moçambique da Nova Gameleira de Belo Horizonte – MG (2007)
In 1960, Maria de Lourdes dos Santos, in order to pay a promise she made for the cure of her son Geraldo Evangelho, founds A Guarda de Moçambique de Nossa Senhora do Rosário, placed at the old street Rua dos Pretos at Vila dos Marmiteiros, Gameleira district. Her family and husband were from Itaguara (MG) and had been in Congado for several generations, her husband José Sabino da Costa was Capitão da Guarda de Marujo in Itaguara (MG), but unfortunately when Maria de Lourdes founded Moçambique she had already deceased and his father-in-law Jose Sabino Velho was Capitão de Moçambique in the same city and several other members of the family were part of congado.
All this love for Congado will be brought to Belo Horizonte by these people and by all the others that will gather in this Brotherhood. They recently reunited Raimundo, nephew of Maria de Lourdes in a Guarda de Congado in Itaguara. In addition to Maria becoming Rainha Conga, Zé Faustino (Bigode) Primeiro Capitão, Zé Martins, José Olício Rocha, husband of his daughter Maria Alice, current Rainha Conga and her children who at the time were little ones liked to play Moçambique in the tin of candy, Jairo, Geraldo who become the first caixeiros of the Brotherhood since the beginning and João Eustaquio who was a caixeiro once and later was Rei Congo with his sister Alice.
Guarda de Moçambique – Original formation
- Maria de Lourdes dos Santos – Rainha Conga – Conga Queen
- Dona Maria Genove – Rainha de São Benedito – São Benedito’s Queen
- Dona Expedita – Rainha de Santa Efigênia – Santa Efigênia’s Queen
- Dona Isabel – Rainha da Estrela – Queen of the Star
- Dona Clotilde – Rainha de Nossa Senhora do Rosário – Nossa Senhora do Rosário’s Queen
- Jairo, Geraldo e João – Caixeiros
- Jovelina – Capitã – Captain
- Divina – Secretaria – Secretary
- Ze Faustino (Bigode) – Capitão – Captain
- Zé Custodio Branco – Presidente – President
- Dona Diva – Fé de Bandeira por 25 anos e atual Rainha de Santa Efigênia – Fé de Bandeira for 25 years and current Santa Efigênia’s Queen.
Also in the first phase of the Guarda, Dona Conceição – Rainha de São Jorge e Capitã de fila, is in Guarda for 35 years and is the one who sings the novenas and also serves as role model for the new generations.