Photo: Eduardo Anizelli/Folhapress (Folha de São Paulo)
Alfredo Bello is an Instrumentalist and a researcher of Brazilian traditional expressions – from folk and folk traditions to electronic music, and through pickups and laptops where he manifests as DJ Tudo, creating an unusual discotheque mixing and overlapping traditional and contemporary music / electronics in a unique way. Alfredo has a collection of over 2.000 hours of original music/video footage. Together with a collection of 20.000 LPs, it is considered one of the most important ethnomusicological collections of traditional music in Brazil. The gathering of this vast material led to the creation of the label Mundo Melhor, documenting the traditions of several communities across Brazil.
Among 20.000 LP collection or his recording sessions of traditional expressions during trips around Brazil, Alfredo has researched the following traditional expressions:
– Minas Gerais: Congados – Moçambiques, Congos, Congadas, Catupes, Guardas de Caboclos, Penachos, Vilões, Bois de Reis, Bois de Janeiro, Folia de Reis e Terreiros de Umbanda e Candomblé.
– Pernambuco: Maracatus, Caboclinhos, Cavalo Marinhno, Afoxés, Pretinhas do Congo, Bandas de Pife, Urso, Candomblés, Juremas e Índios Pankararu e Fulni-ô
– Sergipe: Samba de Cocô, Samba de Pareia, Samba de Aboio, Maracatu, Terreiro de Nagô,Taieiras, Cacumbi, Cheganças, Reisados, Guerreiros, Bandas de Pife.
– Pará: Carimbós, Bambaê do Rosário, Bangüês, Ladainhas, Boi Bumbá e Samba de Cacete.
– Espírito Santo: Bandas de Congo e Folia de Reis.
– Paraíba: Cambindas e Tribo de Índio.
– Piauí: Congo de Oeiras-PI.
– São Paulo: Batuque, Jongos, Folia de Reis e Congados – Moçambiques, Congadas e Embaixada de Carlos Magno.
– Brasília: Bumba Meu Boi e Cacuriá.
– Rio Grande do Norte: Cocô de Zambê, Congo de Calçola, Noegros do Rosário.
– Bahia: Zambi Apunga, Penitentes (Terno de Almas), Banda de Pife e Terreiros.
– Rio de Janeiro: Jongos e Folia de Reis.
– Ceará: Bandas Cabaçal, Reisados e Cocos.
– Maranhão: Bumba Meu Boi, Tambor de Mina, Dança de São Gonçalo, Ladainhas, Benditos, Tambor de Crioula e Caroço.
– Goiás: Congados –Ternos de Congo, Catupês Catunda, Vilões, Moçambiques, Penacho e Embaixada e Sussa e Rezas dos KALUNGAS, comunidade quilombola.
– Alagoas: Baianas, Samba de Matuto, Caboclinhas, Penitentes, Terreiro de Umbanda, Cambinda, Pagodes e Índios Kariri-Xoco.
Belgium documentary about the research of Alfredo Bello – http://migre.me/atvFa
Mundo Melhor Youtube channel – www.youtube.com/selomundomelhor
In 2007′ Virada Cultural in São Paulo, he organized Missa Conga (Conga Mass) by traditional groups at São Paulo downtown. He was also member of AVON Cultura de Vida Commission. Organized an Afro Mass at Igreja da Sé in São Paulo on November 20th, with the presence of eight groups from São Paulo state.
In 2012, worked as curator for the 2012 International Paralympic project in London, where artists from 6 countries collaborate to build a multimedia installation at the Southbank Center during Paralympic Games.
Alfredo attended the Music course at Universidade de Brasília, after studying Sociology for three years. At that time he played in the group “Os Cachorros das Cachorras”, one of the most important groups in Brasilia’s pop scene of the 90s, having performed in several cities around Brazil, and in Germany in 1998. He played during this period in UnB’s Big Band and UnB’s Chamber Orquestra. He graduated in his main instrument, the double bass, and continues to play electric bass, percussion and synths (he has a small collection of moogs, korg, among others).
As a student Alfredo recorded some soundtracks for short college movies at UnB (Universidade de Brasilia):
Na Universidade de Brasília (UnB), Alfredo gravou algumas trilhas sonoras para filmes de curta duração.
|2003||soundtrack for the Mostra SESC de Artes Latinidades|
|2004||soundtrack for VR|
|2005||with Luiz Gayotto – soundtrack for a Conselho Regional de Psicologia de São Paulo’s documentary.|
|2007||with Luiz Gayotto composition of the soundtrack of the short movie “Profetas da Água e da Esperança” (having earned 3 awards)|
|2008||with Simone Sou – soundtrack to FORD stand at Salão do Automóvel de São Paulo|
|soundtrack and music direction of the show “Pedrinho do Capão” , with 100 children from São Paulo.|
|2009||soundtrack of TV series ” O Amor segundo B. Schienberg” of Brazilian director Beto Brant|
|soundtrack of the movie version of ” O Amor segundo B. Schiamberg” of Brazilian director Beto Brant|
|2011||soundtrack of the tetralogy “Jaguar Cibernético” from amazon director of theatre Francisco Carlos|
|with Simone Sou, soundtrack of the movie “Eu receberia as piers notícias de seus lindo lábios” of Brazilian director Beto Brant|
2007 – Prêmio Mestre Duda de Culturas Populares do Ministério da Cultura pelos registros e lançamentos dos CDs do selo Mundo Melhor
2007 – Prêmio Estimulo de Música da Secretaria de Cultura do Estado de São Paulo para a realização do CD “GARRAFADA” do DJ Tudo
2007 – Prêmio do PAC de Culturas Tradicionais da Secretaraia de Cultura do Estado de São Paulo para
realização do CD do “Moçambique de São Benedito do Marechal de Cunha-SP”
2008 – Prêmio do PAC de Sites de Cultura para a reformulação do site do selo Mundo Melhor, www.selomundomelhor.org.
2008 – Prêmio do PAC de Culturas Tradicionais da Secretaria de Cultura do Estado de São Paulo para realização do CD “Congado em Mogi das Cruzes-SP”
2009 – Bolsa para residência artística na Inglaterra do British Council realizada em novembro e dezembro de 2009.
2010 – Prêmio do PAC de Culturas Tradicionais da Secretaria de Cultura do Estado de São Paulo para realização do CD “Festa de São Benedito em Aparecida-SP”
From 2000 until today Alfredo Bello has been working intensively in the music and soundtrack production field, working across several music styles:
- Collaboration with Adrian Sherwood and Lee Perry for Dub Setter (2010) album of Perry, playing bass, moog, percussion and recording and arranging.
- Two works with ‘native music from Amazon “Caiapó” and “Mehinaku” ( with the appearances of Naná Vasconcelos, Egberto Gistmonti, Simone Sou, Gilberto Gil, Airto Moreira, Marku Ribas, Badi Assad, and others)
- Among his music production works some stand out: the paulista rock band “Cérebro Eletrônico”, the singer/songwriter “Junio Barreto”, the rock mineiro band “Porcas Borboletas”, the singer/songwriter “Luiz Gayotto”, the artist “Gero Camilo”, the singer from Pernambuco “Ortinho”, the pianist “Eduardo Nazarian”, the group “Pedra Branca”, the band “Dona Zica” and others.
As musician, he plays acoustic and electric Bass, samplers, keyboards and programming. He has been working both as a musician playing and/or recording Gilberto Gil, Lee Scratch Perry, Marku Ribas, Mad Professor, Adrian Sherwood, Otto, Mexican Institute of Sound, Junio Barreto, Ortinho, Apollo 9, Carlos Zimbher, Gero Camilo, Ligiana, Consciência Humana, Posse Mente Zulu, Selma Reis.
He performed for years in Dona Zica and Pedra Branca bands. In 2002 and 2003, he was part of the Scotland Brazil Orchestra, a project by British Council which gathered 16 Brazilian and Scottish musicians who toured throughout Brazil, Scotland and England. In 2006, he was playing in Pixinguinha Project following Luiz Gayotto to Brazil’s North region closing the event. In 2007, he followed the singer and composer Marku Ribas.
DJ Tudo was born after adding bass, sampling, percussion, keyboards and programming to this musical knowledge, a project that seeks new artistic experiences by combining traditional folkloric music and electronic music, creating a unique way of being a DJ, linking and overlapping traditional and contemporary electronic music.
In July 2008, “GARRAFADA” was out, gathering his productions, remixes and creations of Traditional Culture plus artists already produced by Alfredo Bello. In November 2009, he was awarded by the British Council with a grant for an artistic residence in London, Glasgow and several other cities in Europe with several musicians from Europe music scene, in the same period went to Dakar, Senegal. This recordings became his second album “Nos Quintais do Mundo” 2010, which was conceived in Brazil, Europe and Africa. In 2012, released DVD “Nos Quintais do Mundo Melhor” directed by filmmaker Beto Brant, in 2014 released the album “Pancada Motor – Manifesto da Festa”; in 2015 came out the album “- Gaia Musica vol. 1 – Brasil, North India, Indonesia and Mali”; 2016 EP Pra Iemanjá and recently, 2017, “Gaia Musica vol.2 – Brasil, Marrocos” was released.
Alfredo Bello has released 5 albums, one EP and one DVD as DJ Tudo:
– Garrafada 2008
– Nos Quintais do Mundo 2010
– DVD and LP Nos Quintais do Mundo Melhor 2012
– Pancada Motor – Manifesto da Festa 2014
– Gaia Musica vol. 1 – Brasil, North India, Indonesia and Mali 2015
– Pra Iemanjá EP 2016
– Gaia Musica vol.2 – Brasil, Marrocos 2017
Events where he already performed, the following stand out:
– In Belgium where he performed with Gnawas from Morocco in January,2015. In February performed in “Deqqa do Brasil” project at Casablanca, Morocco, january 2015
– New Deli, India, November 2014
– Tour in Europe in June and July 2014, with special mention to the Roskilde Festivals in Denmark and Couleur Café in Belgium.
– Launching of the new album “Pancada Motor – Manifesto da Festa”, mixed by Mad Professor in London, March 2014.
– Europe and South Africa Tour 2013, performing with his band, DJing and giving lecture on Brazilian culture, highlights the BBC invitee show at the WOMAD Festival in England. – Europe and Asia Tour in 2012 as DJ performing in more than 10 countries.
– Launching of the DVD “Nos Quintais do Mundo Melhor” in June 2012 with Beto Brant as director.
– October/November 2011 represented Brazil in Europalia, “Ano do Brasil na Bélgica” with 5 concerts and two lectures about Brazilian Culture.
– DVD recording in July 2011 at the Auditorio Ibirapuera directed by the filmmaker Beto Brant.
– Portugal Tour, July 2011 performing in 5 cities
– April/May 2011 to Slovenia, Paris and Madrid to give a lecture on Brazilian culture and discography.
– Show and musical direction in the show “FUTURIVEL” with Giberto Gil, Banda de Pife Princesa do Agreste from Caruaru (PE), Macaco Bong and DJ Tudo e sua gente de todo lugar, November, 2010.
– Porto Musical, Recife, February 2011.
– Mercado Cultural at Salvador, Bahia, December 2010.
– Feira de Agricultura Familiar do Ministério do Desenvolvimento Agrário, June 2010, Brasília.
– USA Tour, September/October 2010 – Chicago, New York and Washington.
– “Nos Quintais do Mundo” album release tour, May/June visiting several cities in São Paulo, Minas Gerais, Pará and Brasília.
– São Paulo’s Cultural Circuit, May 2010.
– European tour in 06 different countries, October/November 2009.
– Conexão Vivo, Brazil 2009.
– Virada Cultural de São Paulo, May 2009.
– Feira de Agricultura Familiar by Ministry of Agrarian Development, November 2008, Rio de Janeiro.
– BRASILNOAR Festival, Barcelona, Spain, November 2008.
– Project PHUSION at the CCBB with Marcos Valle, Rio de Janeiro, August 2008.